The DLI Leadership Institute is a four-month, hybrid leadership development course designed for attorneys and staff in legal environments, including law firms and legal departments. The content focuses on practical, learnable, leadership and management skills applied in a law firm/department context. The course consists of:
- Online learning modules on more than 20 practical leadership topics
- Eight live cohort meetings via Zoom
- Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI II) Personality Assessment, with live cohort debrief
- Change Style Indicator Assessment, with live cohort debrief
- Three 50 minute coaching calls to assist participants in applying leadership concepts
- Each participant will complete a personal leadership plan at the end of the course
Who would benefit from DLI?
- Managing Partners
- Practice and Industry Group Leaders
- Senior Associates who are managing teams
- Executive/Management Team Members
- Staff Leadership – CEO, COO, CMO, CTO, CLO, etc.
- High Potential Leaders
Benefits of Participation
- Participants understand their role as leaders
- Increased awareness of changes in the legal marketplace and strategies for change
- Improved management and leadership skills
- Group learning – participants share best practices and learn from each other
- Emphasis on practicing leadership skills and adopting growth mindsets to be stronger leaders
- Why do we need strong leaders today?
- Shifting from peer to leader role
- Creating a learning culture
- Communication skills; managing difficult conversations
- Emotional Intelligence
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Influencing others
- Persuasion skills
- Mentoring, coaching and sponsorship
- Stress & resiliency for your self and your team
- Delegation, followership and accountability
- Inclusive leadership
- Developing high performing teams
- Leading remote and hybrid remote teams
- Leading across generations
- Creating vision and engaging others in it
- Developing a strategic plan
- Encouraging and leading innovation
- Process improvement
- Project management
- Understanding change styles and leading change
- Ethical leadership
- Reflection and developing a leadership plan
Participants are expected to commit to two hours per week, on average. Participants are expected to attend eight cohort meetings via zoom (recorded for those who can’t make the meetings). Participants will develop a personal leadership plan at the conclusion of the course.
Tuition includes three, 50-minute coaching calls over the duration of the course to support the participant in achieving her/his leadership goals.
The DLI will run from January through June 2024. Sessions will be recorded and made available if participants cannot make the live session. Cohort meetings are scheduled for:
- January 9
- January 23
- February 13
- February 27
- March 12
- March 26
- April 9
- April 30
Early Bird Registration (prior to December 15, 2023) $2,295.00 USD (use promotion code “DLIEarlyBird”)
Standard Tuition (December 16, 2023 – January 5, 2024) $2,495.00 USD
Late Tuition (January 6, 2024 – January 31, 2024) $2,995.00 USD
A $50.00 discount is available for payment by check, ACH or Wire. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Discounts are available for three or more participants from a single firm or company. Contact email@example.com for more information.
CLE Credit: The course may qualify for CLE credit in your jurisdiction. A $125 fee will be charged for application for CLE credit in your jurisdiction. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Value & Paying it Forward
The training, cohort meetings, two assessments and three coaching sessions are valued at $4,150.00 USD.
5% of revenue from the program will be donated to youth leadership programs, including the World Scout Foundation and similar projects.
How to Register
Click on the button “Take This Course” at the top of the page to register. You will receive a welcome email with instructions on how to access the course and attend the cohort meetings.
Meet the Facilitator: Mark Beese
Mark Beese is President of Leadership for Lawyers, a consultancy focused on helping lawyers and other professionals become stronger leaders. He provides training, coaching and consulting in the areas of leadership development, innovation, and business development. He serves law firms, legal departments, law schools, legal networks and industry associations on a global basis.
Mark has trained thousands of lawyers and law firm business leaders how to be more effective leaders. His clients range from Global 10 and Amlaw 100 firms to small and medium sized firms around the world.
Mark is an adjunct faculty at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law and former adjunct faculty at the Center for Creative Leadership. He is a Fellow of the College of Law Practice Management and an inductee in the Legal Marketing Association Hall of Fame for lifetime achievement. For more information, visit www.leadershipforlawyers.com and www.designthinkinglegal.com.
Questions about the Course?
Contact Mark Beese, Course Director, at email@example.com
“Highly recommend this course to anyone interested. The skills and tools learned and developed are invaluable in both personal and professional growth!” – Law Firm Partner.
The program gave me monthly opportunities to reflect on real issues relevant for the leadership of my law firm, and get valuable input from colleagues around the globe. The program gave me a broader agenda to use when managing our firm, and showed me tools to use when doing so.” – Managing Partner, Law Firm,
“All of the learning modules were packed full of useful information that I could immediately apply to my firm. I especially enjoyed the monthly meetings with my cohorts from around the world. Their unique insight and suggestions on how to address problems I was dealing with, was invaluable. If you love learning and are willing to invest the time to get through the modules, you will walk away armed with many new leadership tools.” – Law Firm COO
“The best part of the was discussing leadership and management strategies with colleagues around the world. It is reassuring to hear we all face similar struggles, and helpful to discuss different methods for resolving them.” – Practice Group Leader, Law Firm
“I found the program provided me with leadership skills that I could implement into my everyday practice. The most valuable module was on feedback, but I also really enjoyed the material on unconscious bias and managing this in a leadership setting.” – Partner, Law Firm
What does DUXLEX mean?
Dux is latin for Leader. Lex is latin for Law. DuxLex is where leadership and the law meet. Leadership for Lawyers. www.leadershipforlawyers.com